Saturday, March 16, 2013

Common symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis

Today I am going to discuss the common symptoms of MS along with my personal symptoms.

Common Symptoms of MS

Symptoms of MS vary from person to person. These symptoms also very in severity, and may not be constant. They may come and go without warning or reason. They can be invisible to other people, or visible.

Invisible
Visible
· Muscle stiffness
· Vision problems
· Fatigue
· Numbness or “pins & needles” in extremities
· Pain or discomfort
· Bladder issues
· Cognitive problems
· Foot drop
· Tremors
· Lack of coordination
· Lack of fine motor skills
· Loss of balance
· Cognitive problems
· Complete or partial paralysis
· Heat sensitivity

My Symptoms
 
Current: Hopefully the medications help me get rid of some of these symptoms
  • Sexual dysfunction - The most fun of all for a 34 year old married man who is deeply in love with his wife. It is too depressing to even discuss beyong what I just wrote.
  • Bladder issues: Increased frequency and difficulty emptying my bladder
  • Fatigue: fatigue that isn’t due to lack of sleep, my entire body shuts down
  • Cognitive problems: forgetful and slow processing information
  • Foot drop of left foot, looks like I am dragging my foot at times
  • Balance issues: I walk all over the place and into things. I often stumble or fall
  • Muscle weakness: My knee or knees will give out on me at random times
  • Heat sensitivity: If I get overheated or too hot, all my symptoms get worse especially vision, fatigue, balance, and foot drop
Past: The fact that a few symptoms have subsided gives me hope that the Copaxone is working.
  • Numbness in my hands and fingers, and sometimes my legs - This one was a fun one. I kept dropping small items (pens, keys) or couldn't pick them up. I was really happy when this subsided
  • Pain: Constant pain and discomfort all over - Another fun one that has mostly subsided.
  • Muscle stiffness in legs and banding in the abdomen (MS Hug)  - This still happens randomly, primarily in the summer
  • Fine motor skills decrease: It is hard to type, hold smaller objects, tie my shoes, button my shirt - Nothing makes you feel better about yourself than having difficulty buttoning a dress shirt!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment